Wednesday 28 April 2010

Nathan's play list - part two

I have finally begun to work my way down Nathan's play list of songs for me to listen to. I have decided not to listen to them all in one go as I do not want to overload my mind with too many new songs and lose any appreciation for them so I have decided to listen to them in threes. This may be three, three times a day, it could be three a week, I have not thought about it that much!

But here is my thoughts on the first three songs off the list...

Bad Brains - Banned in DC

This is the first song I listened to and after listening to the opening line I decided I needed the lyrics up for me to even begin to understand what the song was going on about. I listened to it a few times to make any judgements fair and I have decided that I like this song only as a background noise.

I like the music, and the break between the first and second verse is enjoyable but I feel that the music often drowns out the lyrics. I understand that given the genre of music is it to be quite angry and fast and slurred, which I suppose if this is your type of music they do very well, but this is not really for me to be honest.


Screeching Weasel - My Brain Hurts
I really enjoyed the introduction to the this song. As soon as the guitars started I knew that this would be a song I would like. Again I decided to read the lyrics as I listened to the song as I love my lyrics, they are after all the essence of the song!

I think my favourite lyric from this song has to be..

Milk fed little beauty queen
she's straight out of a magazine
she sits beside me
breathing different air than me
This is definitely a song I will listen to again!


Screeching Weasel - Veronica Hates Me
Unfortunately every time I tried to listen to this song my laptop decided to have a spaz and kept stopping and starting the song, yet even with this interference I still enjoyed this song. Some of the lyrics made me laugh and it is such a man song in the way that everything Veronica does is because she 'hates' him. Parts of the song reminded me of things my mom says to my dad or brother and it also reminded me of my brothers response to some of these things.

Again the song was very catchy and I like the repetition of the lyrics, as well as the back ground "Veronica hates me" during different parts of the verses.

I think I am a new fan of Screeching Weasel as what I have heard so far I do quite enjoy! More listening to come I think!



Straying slightly from Nathan's play list I began listening to The Queers - Teenage Gluesniffer as Youtube suggested it to me after listening to Screeching Weasels and I must say I rather enjoyed that too! Towards the end of the song the line "Well he's a teenager gluesniffer" began to get a bit tiresome with its repetition but apart from that I did quite enjoy it, with the simple rhyming of the lyrics making me smile at times :)


So there it it. My first lot of review type thoughts on some of the songs my lovely brother suggested to me. If anyone has any other suggestions of songs to add to the list feel free to leave a comment and I shall do my best to get to it at some point.


Nathan's Play list....

Bad Brains - Banned in DC
Screeching Weasel - My Brain Hurts, Veronica Hates Me + Science of Myth
Agent Orange - Everything Turns Grey
Capdown - Ska Wars
Mustard Plug - Beer Song
Madness - One Step Beyond
Rancid - Tropical London, Red Hot Moon + Time Bomb
The Only Ones - Another Girl Another Planet
The Ziggens - Goin' Richter + Can't We All Just Get A Longboard
Dead Kennedys - Holiday In Cambodia
Reel Big Fish - Sell Out, Take On Me, Beer + Monkey Man
Spunge
Streetlight Manifesto
Nofx - Linoleum
Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear The Reaper
The Vandals - My Girlfriend's Dead
Kings of Leon - Ragoo
Temper Trap - Sweet Disposition
David Bowie - Life On Mars
Smashing Pumpkins - Today + 1979
The Animals - House Of The Rising Sun
The Cure - Inbetween Days, Close To Me + Boys Don't Cry
Harry Becafonte - Jumpin' The Line
Bob Marley - Redemption Song + No Woman No Cry
Spin Doctors - Two Princes

No comments:

Post a Comment